Ebberston is a village (population 400) 7 miles from Pickering to the west and 11 miles from Scarborough to the east, lying in the Vale of Pickering between the north York’s Moors and the Wolds, in fact an idyllic position. The village has a long history and at one time comprised three settlements, namely Kirkdale, Upperby and Netherby that latter is the site of the present village. It was described in one Council survey as “ a village worthy of preservation”.
St. Mary’s Church lies at the southern end of Kirkdale and is a fine building with its origin in Norman Times. Halfway down the Main Street is the Methodist Chapel built in 1871 to replace the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, later the Sunday School and school canteen, which is now the privately owned Wesley House.
A hundred yards away is the St. Mary’s Mission Room, which was originally the Primitive Methodist Chapel, and is a listed building, now converted to a dwelling.
Next door to the Mission Room is ‘Westwood’ farmhouse, also a listed building, dating to the Queen Anne period. Further to the north is Church House with its huge chimney and a chequered history dating back hundreds of years.
The present Village Hall was originally the Village School built in 1874 on land donated the then Squire Baker. The school closed in around 1978 and in 1983 was acquired by village. Since that date a considerable amount of time and money has been expended on the building and must continue.
The playing field at the south of the village is one of the finest and best equipped in the district. It was acquired in 1991 when Mrs Annie White, chairman of the Cricket Club, paid for most of the land. Further land has been purchased since then.
Most of the older properties in the village are constructed of stone from the quarry in Sandsprunt, which was granted to the village by the Enclosure Award to provide stone for the construction of roads etc in Ebberston. The use of the quarry as a refuse tip was closed and the Parish Council subsequently sold it.
Ebberston Hall is a Palladian villa built 1718. Family pictures, fine panelling. Water gardens. Hand-carved pine friezes, described as the finest early 18thC example of this work in the country. It was built in 1718 by William Thompson, MP for Scarborough and Warden of the Mint, for his mistress, who was evidently hard to please, as she, reputedly, never visited it.