This website, published through ryedaleconnect, is being developed to provide information relating to Ebberston, Yedingham and Bickley parishes and the activity of the combined Parish Council in particular.
Ebberston Hall is a Palladian villa built 1718. Family pictures, fine panelling. Water gardens. Hand-carved pine friezes, described as the finest early 18thC example of this work in the country. It was built in 1718 by William Thompson, MP for Scarborough and Warden of the Mint, for his mistress, who was evidently hard to please, as she, reputedly, never visited it.
St Mary’s Church lies at the southern end of Kirkdale and is a fine building with its origin in Norman Times. The 12th-century church consisted of an aisle less nave about 39 ft. long and a chancel, and of this building the south nave wall and part of the north wall of the chancel are still standing. About the year 1200 the north nave wall was pulled down and an aisle built out on that side and during the 13th century the chancel was largely rebuilt, the whole of the east and south walls being of that period. In the following century the west wall was removed and the nave extended some 24 ft. to the west and a western tower added. At the same time a chapel was constructed adjoining the south side of the lengthened nave and windows were inserted in the Norman wall further east. The chapel was probably pulled down at the Reformation and the arch filled in. The church has been extensively restored in modern times, the north aisle being largely rebuilt with the chancel arch and the south chancel wall. A south porch has also been added.
Bickley is situated at the northern edge of Ebberston Parish, and consists of twenty dwellings, including several farms and small-holdings. It is approximately six miles from Ebberston village, and nine miles from Scarborough. There are historical references that 40 acres of the area were ‘assarted’ by Thomas de Ebberston, lord of the manor, on which he built a house.
Roger and Helwysia de Clere founded a priory here for nine nuns of the Benedictine order, dedicated to the Virgin Mary; the revenue was valued at the Dissolution at £26. 6. 8., and the site was granted to Robert Holgate, afterwards Archbishop of York. The village lies on the road from York to Scarborough, and comprises about 700 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture. The village is pleasantly situated on the navigable river Derwent, which forms the northern boundary of the parish.